x
192 Physicians Online

Question:

Can you get STDs from public toilets or public washing machines?

Is is possible to get sexually transmitted diseases besides having sex and contacting body fluids? For example, can you get STDs from using a public toilet, using public washing machines, trying on (used or tried on) clothes at stores, or sleeping in the bed of someone with an STD?

Answer:

Sexually transmitted diseases/infections are a group of infections that are transmitted through sexual contact either vaginal intercourse , anal intercourse or oral intercourse. They cannot be transmitted through public toilets,washing machines or clothes. Just sleeping in the same bed as someone who has an STI does not transmit the infection either. I hope this helps. All the best.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA