Can you relieve me? My ALT is 199,my AST is

Q: Can you relieve me? My ALT is 199,my AST is 126. No hep (test was negative) I'm quitting drinking. With those numbers am I in big trouble? Will those go down when I quit?

Thanks for using "Ask The Doctor" for posting your query.
The levels of ALT 199 and AST 126 with a history of regular alcohol intake suggests that you have an alcoholic hepatitis. Hepatitis is a common problem among patients of regular alcohol use. Over a period of time, this may progress to the level of cirrhosis which then becomes irreversible. Probably at this level, it's only a hepatitis and should be reversible ones your abstain from alcohol completely. This may take 1-3 months to get to normal.
Further, it is recommended to get a USG abdomen done. If its a liver cirhosis, then it should be visible so in the USG abdomen. At this stage I don't think it is so, but better to be wise than be sorry.
The liver normally heals by self and nothing much needs to be done except for wait and watch and abstinence from further insult to the liver like alcohol.
Do meet your doctor and request for a USG abdomen.
Hope this helps,
Wish you a good health.