Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Can you suffer from compulsive overeating through after anorexia?

Can you suffer from compulsive overeating through after anorexia?

Patient: Can you suffer from compulsive overeating through beating anorexia? As I suffered from anorexia but now cannot physically stop eating, even if I don’t like the food I have to eat it. When I try dieting though as I’ve become overweight (13stone 12lb) I stop eating alltogether.

Doctor: It is common for those who have anorexia to also have eating peculiarities. Overeating could be one of them. You may be having some control issues, you feel you have conquered anorexia and overeating is the perceived solution. Anorexia tends to be a chronic condition and there is a possibility you will be dealing with this for a very long time. I do hope I have answered you question and take care always.