Candidiasis

Patient

Q: My wife had a bad yeast infection a couple of weeks ago. During that time we had sex. A couple of days ago I began having a burning sensation when I urinate. No rash appearing on head. But, under the head of the penis is a small rub rash. Could I have contracted the yeast infection and if so, how do I get rid of it?

Doctor

A:   I understand your concern about possible yeast infection. Candidiasis in men usually causes red rash with white lesions on the head of the penis, sometimes ulcerations, itchiness, dry flaking skin, pain when peeing, painful intercourse, sometimes loss of libido. In my opinion you should be evaluated by your primary care physician first to rule out other possibilities and give you the right treatment. Sexual transmission of yeast infections is uncommon. If you confirm yeast infection, most male yeast infections are easily treated with an over-the-counter antifungal treatment, such as Monistat also in women. Apply the medication directly to the affected skin twice daily for a week. If the rash doesnt go away, or if it recurs frequently, consult your doctor. If you and your partner have symptoms of genital yeast infection, its important that you both be treated. Otherwise, you may keep re infecting each other. Also, its generally recommended that you refrain from sexual contact until all signs and symptoms of the infection are gone. I wish you a prompt recovery.