Q: I was wondering why i keep getting yeast infections. at least i think they're yeast infections. every time i get rid of one and my boyfriend and i have sex i end up with another one. he is completely clean of any std's and a yeast infection himself so i have no clue why i keep getting them.

A:   Candidiasis is an infection caused by a group of microscopic fungi or yeast. There are more than 20 species of Candida, the most common being Candida albicans. These fungi live on all surfaces of our bodies. Under certain conditions, they can become so numerous they cause infections, particularly in warm and moist areas. Examples of such infections are vaginal yeast infections, thrush, skin and diaper rash, and nailbed infections.Therefore these Fungi is part of the normal flora of your vagina, however Yeasts can overgrow if the environment in the vagina changes. Antibiotic and steroid use is the most common reason for yeast overgrowth. But pregnancy, menstruation, sperm, diabetes, and birth control pills also can contribute to getting a yeast infection. Yeast infections are more common after menopause. Most Candida infections can be treated at home with over the counter or prescription medication and can clear within a week. But if some other disease has weakened your immune system, consult your doctor for any new symptoms before attempting self-treatment. I wish a prompt recovery.