Canesoral For Vaginal Itching

Patient

Q: I have vaginal itching with no discharge. It's been a few days. I took canesoral 2 days ago and no change. What else can I do?

Doctor

A:   Although vaginal itching can be due to thrush, the absence of discharge makes it unlikely. Other causes could be due to bacterial vaginosis and skin irritation. You should avoid using any kind of soap in that area until the symptoms are relieved. Clean the area thoroughly with water and apply moisturing lotion several times to keep the skin hydrated and reduce itching. Avoid scratching the area, it will only aggravate the problem. Wearing cotton underpants will help reduce the irritation in the area.