Cannot Keep Food Down After Stroke

Patient

Q: My partner is just getting over a stroke but cannot keep solids down only sloppy food could you please tell me why

Doctor

A:   Inability to swallow food or dysphagia is a common sequel observed in patients who have suffered stroke, caused by the weakness in the muscles of the mouth. For effective swallowing, numerous muscles of the mouth, the pharynx, larynx, esophagus and stomach work in absolute coordination to carry the food from the mouth to the stomach without letting it enter the airways. Due to the weakness in the mouth muscles, the process of swallowing becomes less effective, but it should eventually correct itself once the muscles start to regain their strength and become stronger over time.

Inability to swallow food or dysphagia is a common sequel observed in patients who have suffered stroke, caused by the weakness in the muscles of the mouth. For effective swallowing, numerous muscles of the mouth, the pharynx, larynx, esophagus and stomach work in absolute coordination to carry the food from the mouth to the stomach without letting it enter the airways. Due to the weakness in the mouth muscles, the process of swallowing becomes less effective, but it should eventually correct itself once the muscles start to regain their strength and become stronger over time.