Cannot Yawn

Q: I can't let myself yawn after being trained as a child not to. Is there any way I can reverse that?

Whenever I do yawn, despite trying to let myself, my throat closes up and it ends up being painful and making odd sounds.

I know I've been doing this since I was in 2nd grade, and now I'm in college. Sometimes I try to make myself yawn just so I can see if I can let it go through normally. (which has never worked)

I really don't know who to ask or where to turn to for this. Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but thank you for reading. (I don't even know what kind of a problem it really is.)