Cant sleep due to something being there, just dozing and waking up.

Q: Hi, I struggle every night to fall asleep due to either not being able to sleep or just dozing of and waking up to feeling like someones right behind me and cant figure out why, i also wake up at least 4 times a week not being able to move,talk and sometimes breathe in the middle of the night.

Symptoms:  /

A:   Hello
Thanks for using "Ask The Doctor" for posting your query.
The two problems that you are having are: sleep onset insomnia and sleep paralysis.
For sleep onset insomnia, I would suggest you to follow below mentioned steps:
1) A warm water bath before going to sleep is recommended.
2) Avoid heavy dinners.
3) Use your bedroom only for sleeping and resting and do not do any other work there.
4) Have some aerobic workouts during day preferably in the morning like walking or jogging.
5) Don’t try very hard to go to sleep. If you are not sleepy then sit on a couch or sofa and do some reading and go to the bed only when you are sleepy.
6) Avoid afternoon nap for any reason.
7) Keep the lighting of your bedroom dim and make your bed every morning after you wake up so that you get a cozy bed to sleep at night.
8) Completely avoid coffee/tea/alcohol/energy drinks/coke/smoking.
9) Avoid watching tv or working on laptop/computer or bright screens at night.

If you still have sleep troubles then you may consider taking a short course of clonazepam or lorazepam to get back your sleep cycle.
Regarding sleep paralysis, its quite common and will not lead to any thing serious. One of the common reason for such phenomenon are stressful thoughts before sleep. You need to keep yourself distressed to avoid such happening. This can be done by practicing relaxation therapy like yoga or meditation etc.
Do meet your doctor.
Hope this helps,
Wish you a good health.