Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Can’t stop throwing up. What is the next step?

Can’t stop throwing up. What is the next step?

Patient: My husband can’t stop throwing up. He threw up at 3am, 4am, 6am, 8am and 1:30pm. He does not have a fever. He has been resting, sipping on water, Gatorade and Sprite. He has taken a bath, eaten on a few crackers and he is still throwing up. What should we do?

Doctor: From the acute onset of symptoms you’ve describe, your husband may have inflammation of the gastro-intestinal tract or g astroenteritis. In most cases this is due to a viral infection. It is usually self-limited and will run its own course, but can be complicated by dehydration. Treatment involves oral rehydration therapy with fluid and electrolyte solutions which are available in most drug-stores. If symptoms are not improving, or your husband cannot tolerate oral fluids, I would advise attending your family doctor as he may require anti-emetic medication.