Car accident and osteoporosis?

Patient

Q: Can Osteoporosis be triggered or caused by a car accident where an man of 69 years old was rear ended?

Doctor

A:   Osteoporosis is a condition in which the bone mineral density is low and the internal structure of the bones suffers progressive deterioration, which increases the risk of fractures, there are several classifications but usually these are the two main types: Type I (post-menopausal due to lack of estrogen )and Type II (senile due to aging skeleton and calcium deficiency). The car accidents do not trigger osteoporosis, what a car accident may produce is a cervical strain or sprain, by the abrupt acceleration-des acceleration when hit in the rear, called Whiplash injury.