Car crash pain meds not helping

Patient

Q: I got in a bad car accident. Otc meds not helping. What should I do?

Car crash pain meds not hel...-1 Car crash pain meds not hel...-2 Car crash pain meds not hel...-3
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. You indeed have sustained a lot of soft tissue contusions (bruises) from this car accident. If you have not been examined by a doctor as yet and have x rays performed to rule out any fractures of your ribs, we recommend that you do so immediately. You may need to be prescribed prescription analgesic medication to treat your pain while you heal. Fractured ribs can be very painful and not respond to over the counter analgesic medication. Please seek medical attention immediately.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com