Cardiac rehab after pacemaker for V-tach

Q: I have pacemaker,defibulator for ventricular tachycardia.Haven't been able to exercise bacause in minutes the sensation of vtac starts and I have to stop and rest. Is there a exercise program established for this situation? I am 66 yrs and had my first heart attack in 1989, age 44. Father, 9 uncles, 1 aunt and maternal grandfather, grandmother all died of the same condition. Also severe sleep apnea, mild copd, lupus, reynauds, etc., etc., etc. I realize this is a little much for this forum, but been out of work for 3 yrs, no income except Soc. Sec. and Medicare. Hope I can get on my feet again.

A:   A daily healthy exercise routine besides the standard guidelines should be customized for each particular individual. In your case, due to your multiple health issues you must be very careful choosing and combining an adequate exercise routine. I suggest emphasizing cardiovascular and respiratory exercises. A light cardiovascular conditioning can be achieved walking at your own pace 20 minutes three times a week. For the respiratory exercises I suggest that you see a respiratory therapist that can teach you a routine that you can easily follow. You will benefit also of a physical therapy program that teach you stretching exercises.