Cardiology Inquiries

Patient: Can someone diagnosed with hypertensive heart deaseas take some alcohol?

Symptoms: My last blood pressure reading was 135/80

Doctor: Thanks for consulting us. If you drink alcohol, do so in moderation. This means an average of one to two drinks per day for men and one drink per day for women. (A drink is one 12 oz. beer, 4 oz. of wine, 1.5 oz. of 80-proof spirits, or 1 oz. of 100-proof spirits). Drinking too much alcohol can raise the levels Triglycerides no blood. Alcohol can also lead to high blood pressure, heart failure and an increased calorie intake. (Consuming too many calories can lead to obesity and a higher risk of developing diabetes.)Excessive drinking and binge drinking can lead to stroke. Other serious problems include fetal alcohol syndrome, cardiomyopathy, cardiac arrhythmia and sudden cardiac death. Hence, consume alcohol in moderate quantity. Have a nice day.