Carotid stenosis

Q: I had an mri that showed high grade stenosis in both external carotids, the test was ordered by a neuro. I was sent to a vascular surgeon who ran an ultrasound which said the carotids were normal. They both disagree on the validity of the others scan and I am caught in the middle. What should I do

A:   You have not stated your symptoms which lead to having the tests done. If your symptoms are consistent with carotid stenosis then it is reasonable to assume that the MRI results are at least partly correct. A MRI may overstate the significance of stenosis. It seems a bit strange that one test would show no disease while the other shows severe disease. I suggest getting a third opinion from another vascular surgeon who will probably repeat your ultrasound.