Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Castor oil safe to take 38weeks 4days?

Castor oil safe to take 38weeks 4days?

Patient: I’m 38weeks 4days pregnant, and my husband has to leave for work on sunday and he’s going to be 2,000 miles away for three weeks, he doesn’t want to miss the birth of his daughter. I’m wondering how safe castor oil is to take to get things going. At my check up last week I was 1cm dilated, and 50% effaced and -3 station, this week my dilation and effacement are the same but baby was at -1 station. (This is my second pregnancy if that makes a difference)

Symptoms: No symptoms, just general question.

Doctor: Hello,It is not advisable to haste the process of labour by any means be it castor oil or anything else. This is a na tural process and is progressing well. With head station -1 already, indicating that head has gone in pelvis and labour should ensue within a week naturally.So it is not advised to use any other means to initiate labour before due time, as would harm the baby in retrospect.regards