Causes of bleeding after sexual intercourse

Patient

Q: I recently (2months ago) got the implant. but since then i have had irrigualar spotting i am aware this is normal however it seems to come within a few hours of having intercourse. i don't know if it is a coinsidence or due to sex. i have been with my partner for 2years and we use condoms.

Doctor

A:   While it may be a coincidence that the spotting is occuring after sexual intercourse there are other causes like cervical polyps, STI's , cervical dysplasia, Vaginitis, Cervicitis that can also lead to a post coital bleed or spotting. If it has occured more than one -two times I would advice you to see your family physician for an STI screen and a physical examination and possible tests like cervical swab and a pap smear. All the best.