Causes of liver pain and hardening

Patient

Q: I have very bad pain in my liver, what are the symptoms of liver hardening, or what ells can it be?

Doctor

A:   There are several cause of liver pain. The most common cause would be due to hepatitis, which is the inflammation of the liver due to infection (virus or bacteria), drugs or alcohol. Underlying diseases like hypertension, diabetes can also cause liver pain. Biliary obstruction, cholangitis, congestive cardiac failure, gallstones, hepatic vein thrombosis, hepatic abscess, Hodgkin’s disease and Hepatocellular carcinoma are the other causes. You may need bloodwork like liver function tests, viral studies and ultrasound of the liver to determine the cause. Treatment will depend on the cause, I hope that answers your question, take care.