Causes of Low Back Pain Symptoms

Q: I have a pain in the centre of my lower back,i,m finding it hard to walk or straighten my back.l,m in alot of discomfortbut feel fine sitting down,only hurt s when l stand.its been like this for a week now.what should l do?

A:   One of the most common causes of low back pain is musculoskeletal strain. It can be due to trauma, prolonged standing or sitting, changes in the spine, or other causes. Back exercises can strengthen the muscles hence minimize the pain.  However, it is also important to have it checked by a doctor because a complete physical exam is mandatory, probably xrays and other imaging procedures, to rule out serious causes (tumors, narrowing of spinal canal, etc). Besides, you may need a prescription for muscle relaxants which can help a lot with the pain. I hope this helps.