Causes of Low platelet counts

Patient

Q: I need help knowing what exactly low platelets are? got told to go to hospital from the doctor because i am dangerously anemeic and also found out from the hospital i had low platelets. But what are they? Are they bad?

Doctor

A:   Platelets are one of the cells components that make up the blood. They are responsible for clotting of the blood and hemostasis. The normal platelet count ranges from 150,000/ microlitre to 450,000. A person is diagnosed as having low platelets when this count is below 150,000. There are many causes to this
1) Due to decreased production: for example when a person has B12/folic acid deficient anemia, congenital ( a person is born with it ), or bone marrow damage due to toxins, drugs , chemotherapy, cancer
2) increased platelet destruction which is autoimmune in nature mostly: ie the body attacking itself .
Very low platelet count can be dangerous as it can lead to bleeding and thus the cause of your decreased platelet count needs to be investigated further.