Causes of low platelet counts and possible lifestyle changes

Patient : I have just been told that I have a slightly low platelet blood countand told that this needs to be tested in a month. Everything else on my full blood test was normal. Can I increase my platelet count and how?
Doctor :   Low platelet counts are due to a number of causes like immunologic mediated platelet damage,vit B12 /folate deficiency, medications, sometimes acute infection mediated platelet destruction.Thus considering the causes there is not much you can do to increase the platelet count  unless you are taking a medication that is leading to this decreased count then the next thing would be to stop the medication. You could try to have a diet more rich in vitamin b12 and folate sources like increased fish , meat,poultry, eggs etc. Repeat your test in a month and see what the counts are and then take it from there.