x
177 Physicians Online

Question:

Causes of Peripheral Neuropathy

About me - 47, female, 5'11", 135 lbs, irregular blood pressure (extreme highs and lows). Light smoker, light drinker. I have peripheral neuropathy in both feet, legs, and now starting in hands and arms. It all started almost 4yrs ago with just left foot, progressed up left leg, then right leg and now into hands and arms. Not diabetic, altho family history of, no HIV. Wondering if you could give some insight as to what the cause of neuropathy could be. Neuropathy was present before I started meds for high bp. Other issues that occur periodically are - dizziness, lightheadedness, vision disturbances. In your opinion, could this be RSD, or something else, and if so, what might you suggest it is or what testing I should have done.

Symptoms: " />

Answer:

There are various causes of neuropahy.Diabetes, neurologic dysfunction, nerve damage peripherally can be some of them. Hypertension long term can also lead to peripheral neuropathy. You will need some nerve conduction tests done along with a mri/ct due to the dizziness and visual changes. It is difficult at this point to say what is causing this . You will need further investigations. All the best.

Have a Question? Ask The Doctor Here.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

Dr. Patrick Golden M.D.

• Board Certified Cardiologist
  • Founder AskTheDoctor.com
  • Practices in Fresno, CA