Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Causes of vertigo, nausea and vomiting

Causes of vertigo, nausea and vomiting

Patient: For 5 weeks I’ve had periodic bouts of vertigo followed by nausea and vomiting. Also regular ear blockages. My doctor and the local hospital have done 2 sets of blood tests but all fine. BP and heart rate fine & no anemia. No ear infection or Helicobacter Pylori either.Chest Xray was fine. Am booked for an Endoscopy soon. Am normally very healthy; Don’t drink or smoke & cycle to work each day. Have lost weight due to the vomiting so weight is 59kg & height 6’2″ but was thin before with no issues. The locals have no answers, so any thoughts please ?

Doctor: Your symptoms suggest a problem with the middle or inner ear. Labyrinthitis is inflammation of the inner ear which can c ause vertigo, vomiting, hearing loss and a sensation of a blocked ear. This condition usually follows a viral illness such as the common cold. There may be no signs of active infection as the symptoms occur weeks after the initial infection. Other conditions which can explain your symptoms are Meniere’s Disease and Benign Positional Paroxysmal Vertigo. Both these conditions have the symptoms you have described although vomiting is less common. I suggest seeing an ENT specialist to determine if any of these conditions are responsible for your problem.