Cauterization of Nose Bleeds in Boxer

Patient

Q: When boxing my nose bleeds frequently can i have my nose cartarized and continue my training? What costs and risks are involved?

Doctor

A:   Nose bleeds may have several different causes. Trauma to the nose is often a common cause for bleeding. If you sustained repeated trauma to face while boxing this may explain your recurrent bleeding from the nose. Other possibilities to consider include a bleeding disorder or abnormal blood vessels in the nose. Occasionally minor trauma such as picking the nose may lead to nose bleeds.
Cauterization is usually reserved for major or uncontrollable nose bleeds and is done in an emergency setting. It is not used a permanent solution. The most important thing to do is determine the reason for your nose bleeds and then the appropriate treatment can be instituted.