Celiac disease

Patient

Q: When I was born, I was allergic to dairy, wheat, soy, gluten, eggs, just about everything. I was gluten intolerant when I was younger in elementary school, but everything else I grew out of. When I was 12, I began to show symptoms of lactose intolerance. Recently I hav been diagnosed with celiac disease after having over 10 years of no symptoms. Is it possible for it to go into a period of no symptoms for a time and then return with serious symptoms?

Doctor

A:   As you might already know, this condition triggered by consumption of the protein commonly found in bread, pasta, cookies, pizza crust and many other foods containing wheat, barley or rye causes an immune reaction in the small intestines, causing damage to the and an inability to absorb certain nutrients.
Unfortunately, the exact cause of Celiac Disease is not known, but it has been shown that it runs in families. Therefore you might have had the predisposition to develop Celiac Disease and possibly due to a certain trigger such as an infection, the condition woke up.
The only treatment needed is avoiding gluten containing food such as Barley, Bulgur, Durham, Farina, Graham flour, Rye and semolina. I wish you the best.