Celiac Disease Runs in The Family

Q: Celiac Disease runs in my Family. I do not have it but worried I may have it one day. Is there anything I can do to prevent or reduce my risk of getting Celiac's? Are there any screening tests? If I do get Celiac's disease, does that put me at any increased risk of other conditions that I need to be monitored for? Thank you for any information you can provide about Celiacs disease.

A:   I realize that you are worried of getting Celiac’s Disease. As you know this disease carries a genetic predisposition and is often hereditary, 10% of people with relatives suffering from this disease might get it too. Celiac Disease might also be accompanied by other diseases such as Dermatitis Herpetiformes in about 10% which is a skin rash. For prevention you may try to reduce the intake of Gluten containing products such as wheat, barley and oats.
If you don’t have any symptoms at the moment such as Anemia, Diarrhea, Weakness, weight loss there is no need for a screening test. If you present any of the symptoms mentioned before, your physician might ask for a special test and start you on a Gluten free Diet. I hope I helped you clarify your questions.