Cellulitis and what type of doctor needed

Q: I have a question on what type of doctor to call. My brother in law has celulitis and is in a hosp and his leg is very red and swollen and on fire and now his arms seem to be swelling as well. He is being seen by a hosp doctor who doesnt seem worried that his artms are now swelling. is there a specialist we should call in

A:   Thank you for your question.

I am sorry to hear about your brother's unfortunate medical condition. If he has a cellulitis that is significant or not improving, it would be reasonable to ask the infectious diseases doctors to come and consult on him for the consideration of atypical organisms or stronger antibiotics. It is strange to have arm swelling in the setting of an infection that is not visibly connected. There could be several things to consider. First of all, he may be swollen from fluids he is receiving in the hospital. Also, they should rule out a blood clot in the arm known as a deep venous thrombosis. The specialist should be an internal medicine doctor who can do a thorough physical examination and order diagnostic studies to figure out what is going on.

Good luck