Certain santizing products, such as Purell, used on genitals

Patient: Can using products, such as Purell, on one’s genitals cause urethritis? I mistakenly used this product after oral sex and about a week later began to have symptoms of urethritis such as burning urination and discharge. I was tested for Chlamydia and Gonorrhea (via Aptima Combo 2 rRNA assay test), however it came back negative. I was treated regardless, but I still don’t know the cause. Could the test perhaps have been a false-negative because it was not a first-void urine of the day? Is this type of test very reliable?

Symptoms: Burning urination, discharge, delayed urination, weak urine flow.

Doctor: The test is very accurate and false negative testing is rare. However, testing is most accurate if it has been at least 10 days since the potential unprotected encounter.If your symptoms are not due to an std, then urethritis, prostatitis or a urinary tract infection are all possible.The best treatment would be determined by the results of the urine test and sometimes simple trial and error.

Patient: However, can using hand sanitizer on the penis irritate the urethra and cause urethritis?

Patient: Hand sanitizer = purell

Doctor: This question thread has been closed by user