Cervical polyp removal

Patient

Q: I recently had a polyp removed from my cervix. Before starting the procedure, the doctor swabbed by lower vagina with an alcohol swab. This was very uncomfortable to say the least. . was that necessary or could he have used something like a provodine iodine swab instead? I was still feeling the burn a day after the procedure

Doctor

A:   It is necessary to clean the operative area with an appropriate antiseptic solution. Your doctor could have used povidone iodine in place of isopropyl alcohol or any one of several solutions available. It was the personal preference of your doctor to use alcohol.