Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Cervical Spine fusion may cause chronic cough?

Cervical Spine fusion may cause chronic cough?

Patient: My mom has a chronic debilitating cough. She has seen a pulmonologist and an allergist. They have not found a cause. Currently she is seeing an ENT doctor. we are awaiting results from an MRI. She has had 2 surgeries on her throat in her 65 years: one when she was 20, a thyroidectomy and one within the last ten years: a cervical spine fusion and she says she has a plate in her throat. My question is: Could this plate be dislodged and could that be causing her horrible cough? The doctors also won’t give her anything to relieve the cough.

Doctor: I strongly recommend a reevaluation by the orthopedic surgeon that performed the cervical fusion in order to determine f or sure if the material is loosen and causing problems at this time, the only way to address properly the situation is with imaging studies.