Cervical Spine fusion may cause chronic cough?

Q: My mom has a chronic debilitating cough. She has seen a pulmonologist and an allergist. They have not found a cause. Currently she is seeing an ENT doctor. we are awaiting results from an MRI. She has had 2 surgeries on her throat in her 65 years: one when she was 20, a thyroidectomy and one within the last ten years: a cervical spine fusion and she says she has a plate in her throat. My question is: Could this plate be dislodged and could that be causing her horrible cough? The doctors also won't give her anything to relieve the cough.

A:   I strongly recommend a reevaluation by the orthopedic surgeon that performed the cervical fusion in order to determine for sure if the material is loosen and causing problems at this time, the only way to address properly the situation is with imaging studies.