Chances of IUD expulsion?

Patient

Q: I'm currently 22 years old and I have never been pregnant. I got the Paragard two years ago, but it expelled a year later. It was great and caused no trouble the year that it was in. I thought I might've accidentally pulled on the string, so made an appointment to have a new one inserted. A week later, my boyfriend and I noticed that the tip was poking out. I had it removed and replaced with the Mirena because my doctor said it was slightly smaller. A few days after insertion, the Mirena's tip was also poking out. It's been around seven months since I had the Mirena removed. I'm optimistic about the Paragard and I want to try again; however, what are the chances that it'll be expelled again? It's so frustrating finding a birth control method that works because I react badly to anything hormonal...

Symptoms:  No symptoms.
Doctor

Thanks for contacting askthedoctor.com

If you have been contemplating contraception with an IUCD , and had found Paragard to be appropriate then you can always go ahead and get it inserted again as you acknowledged that you are not keen on using a hormonal option.

The expulsion depends firstly on the right technique employed to insert the IUCD inside the uterus and secondary not leaving the thread too long and thirdly the onus of care lies on the patient to avoid pulling it out. If it is found that the iucd is being expelled out after intercourse and this has been happening quite frequently then the size of the uterine cavity and the iucd could be a problem.

You may get an ultrasound done to ascertain the size of the uterus and accordingly with consultation of your physician may decide on the right choice of iucd for you.There are various options available like multiload ,copper-t 380, etc which you may discuss with your physician with an ultrasound report to guide for the necessary size.

I hope i have answered your queries in detail,
wishing you good health ,
regards