Chances of pregnancy, period started after intercourse.

Q: Hi, i had sexual intercourse with my boyfriend yesterday, and later that night when i got home i saw that i started my period, during the intercourse i wasnt on it. What are the chances of a pregnancy?

A:   Pregnancy is caused as a result of sexual intercourse only if it occurs within one's so-called "fertile period". The fertile period of a woman who is not on pills is determined by analyzing her menstrual cycle with an ovulation calculator or fertility chart. Normally, the menstrual cycle is a 28-day cycle. During the 14th day after a period, the ovum is released. This process is called ovulation and the days 12 to 16 days after a period are said to be a woman’s most fertile period. BC Pills prevent ovulation and thus averts Pregnancy. The chance of pregnancy is thus extremely low just before the menses, in a lady with regular bleeding history.

A pregnancy test attempts to determine whether a woman is pregnant. Markers that indicate pregnancy are found in urine and blood, and pregnancy tests require sampling one of these substances. Most chemical tests for pregnancy look for the presence of the beta subunit of HCG, or human chorionic gonadotropin, in the blood or urine. hCG can be detected in urine or blood after implantation, which occurs six to twelve days after fertilization. Please get a home pregnancy test done, after you have missed a period or if you experience irregular bleeding pattern and discuss the result with your doctor.