Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Chancroid: Treatment and disapperance of chancroid

Chancroid: Treatment and disapperance of chancroid

Patient: I was diagnosed with a chancroid on may 15th. i took cipro twice a day for 5 days. i still have signs of the ulser on the back side of my penis. how long should i have this?

Doctor: Chancroid is a sexually transmitted infection and is caused by hemphilus ducreyi and manifests as painful sores on the g enitalia. The typical treatment is azithromycin one dose or ceftriaxone for 7 days. The chancroid will decreases in the next couple of days. However if it does not then i would advice you to see your family physician as you may need another course of antibiotics. All the best.