Change start day of birth control pills

Patient

Q: Can I change the start day of my birth control pills? Right now, Wednesday is my start day and I want to change it to Sunday, 3 days earlier.

Doctor

A:   Hi,
Usually one week gap is recommended between two pill packs, so that withdrawal bleeding can occur in these days and hormones levels will be maintained as in normal menstrual cycle.
If you start pills three days early, that may not cause much difference.
You may have some changes in withdrawal bleeding but the purpose of contraception will not get affected.
Take care.