Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Changing HCG level but not pregnant

Changing HCG level but not pregnant

Patient: Does your HcG level change even when your are NOT pregnant?In sept my gyno did blood test to check my hormones which included a prego test since I was late. At the time my level was negative 1. My period came 9/11 to 9/14; 10/8 to 10/11. In November, I feeling very nauseous…I took a home test the day before my expected period which was neg. Being 5 days late, I took a blood test and my HCG level was at 2.40. Next day I started to spot bright pink and later that night what I assume to be my period start very red…for the next 5 day than spotting for 3 extra days. My periods are 4 days plus that initial brown spotting in the beginning. Please tell me I’m not crazy…even my boyfriend thought I was pregnant without even knowing that I was late or that I was questioning it.

Symptoms: Pregnancy symptoms

Doctor: Thank you for your question. HCG is a hormone that is produced when a fertilized egg implants into the placenta. It is i s the gold standard hormonal detection method for confirming pregnancy. HCG can be produced during pregnancy or in a phenomenon called a molar pregnancy. A molar pregnancy is when tissue that will normally develop into a fetus, develops abnormally, producing symptoms of pregnancy along with positive pregnancy test. It is important that you follow up with your doctor to have another examination and pelvic ultrasound to make sure there are no signs of any pregnancy. This will provide you with the best possible answer to any of your concerns. Please see your doctor.Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com