Changing use of birth control

Patient : I started taking birth control about six months ago for terrible menstrual cramps, and was prescribed Microgestin Fe 1/20 (the only other medication I take is Zyrtec for allergies). I have started dating again, and have been seeing this guy for about four months now. I am mid-twenties and still a virgin, and the topic of sex has come up a few times. We both know that if anything does happen, it won't be for a while, but I want to know if my birth control will do what it needs to if the time comes, especially since it was originally prescribed for cramps.
Symptoms:  No symptoms
Doctor :   Hello, Microgestin Fe 1/20 is a 28 pill pack , which is a combined low dose oral contraceptive pill which has 21 activ e pills and 7 placebo white pills for allowing withdrawal bleed. Its main role is to prevent ovulation during the cycle and make the cervical mucus thicker to disallow ascent of sperm into the uterus , hence preventing pregnancy if there has been an unprotected sex or ejaculation. The pill has to be taken or started from day 1 of menses and continued thereupon to achieve proper contraception. If you have been on this pill for some months now and continuing on it then it would be safe to have unprotected sex and yet you would remain pregnancy safe. But the pill doesn't protect against any STDs so one needs to be informed about one's partner's STI status as well , else protected intercourse is always better. I hope i have answered your query in detail, Wishing you good health, regards