Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Cheekbone broken five years ago now having problems

Cheekbone broken five years ago now having problems

Patient: I had an accident about 5 years ago, feel down a flight of stairs hit a cigarette machine at the bottom, knocked my self out and cut around my eye, from my eyebrow to my cheekbone. I was in significant pain obviously afterwards and couldn’t eat solid food. I went back to the hospital and had further X-rays to my cheekbone as it was numb and hurt a lot! It was discovered I had a hairline fracture. Now 5 years on, the gap in my cheekbone is getting bigger I can put my fingertip in it, it’s number, and my eye feels like it’s sagging. And it is slightly. I had no aftercare from hospital after accident apart from removing the stitches. What should I do, I mentioned it to my gp last year but he dismissed there was anything wrong and only if my face basically collapsed that something would be done

Doctor: It is possible that the fracture to your cheekbone has not healed as it should.  This can be easily confirmed by x-rays. . The numbness that you experience is as a result of injury to the facial nerve. Such injury cannot be repaired so unfortunately your numbness is permanent. It is in your best interest to have yourself examined by a faciomaxillary surgeon. He/she has specific expertise in these kinds of injuries and the appropriate treatment.