Cheerleading with a bad elbow

Q: I am a cheerleader and am having inner and outer elbow pain and shoulder pain on my right side. the back of my elbow is slightly bruised but otherwise their are no signs of injury. I am a flyer so i do use my arms to jump into stunts and perform routines. It hurts to cheer and do the gymnastics portion of the routine i perform, I can't carry things with the arm either. what is wrong ?

Symptoms:  Elbow Pain inner and outer parts of the elbow, shoulder pain, all on right side

A:   Hi,

Welcome to Ask The Doctor. Thank you for your query.

You can try RICE therapy. RICE stands for Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation:

Rest - Rest your elbow and take a break from cheerleading for a few days. Also, avoid carrying weight with the affected arm.
Ice - Ice the elbow for 15 mins every hour. Repeat this up to 5 times a day.
Compression - Using a Crepe bandage, tie the elbow to reduce the swelling. Do not tie the Crepe bandage too tightly to allow blood flow.
Elevation - Elevate the elbow with at least 2 pillows to allow the blood to flow back to the heart. This will reduce the swelling.

If the pain is not reduced by 3 to 5 days, please consult an Orthopedician.