Chemo in childhood and pregnancy

Patient

Q: If I had chemo as a child for a tumor in the nose would it hinder my chances of getting pregnant, me and my husband have been having sex unprotected for a year with no luck.

Doctor

A:   Chemotherapy can stop your ovaries from working for a short while or even permanently. This may result in infertility, irregular periods and even menopausal symptoms. Whether your ovarian suppression is temporary or permanent depends partly on the drugs and doses that you have. Some chemotherapy drugs are more likely than others to be toxic to the ovaries.
Since you had chemotherapy as a child and are now having regular periods, it is unlikely that the chemotherapy drugs were toxic to the ovaries. Nevertheless it would be wise to discuss the names of the chemo drugs you took with your doctor to look for any possible effects they may have had on your fertility.