Chest Cough should I consult a doctor


Q: I've had a chest cough for a week and it hasn't gotten better! I arely cough up anything. I've tried some home remedies and have taken a cold medicine at night. I've experienced wheezing and a humming feeling in my chest! Should I be seen by a doctor?

Symptoms:  Chest cough, wheezing, humming feeling in my chest

A:   Hello,
Thank you for posting your query to ATD.
Cough for more than a week, associated with wheeze is suggestive of Bronchitis.
Inadequately treated cold and flu infection might have travelled down to lungs to cause bronchitis.
If unattended, it may lead to severe complications.
You are advised to consult your doctor.
Doctor may start antibiotics, anti-allergic and painkillers.
You may also require decongestants, bronchodilators, inhalers and temporary steroids.
Steam inhalation may help in relieving discomfort in such conditions.

Related Q&A

Q: Hi Doctor, I am from Singapore. My son is 3 year old. We had planned for vacation to Switzerland day after tomor...

Q: I have a cold I've been to the doctor and I'm on OTC and a Z pack and he also said to buy Affrin because I was oppose...

Q: Hello Doctor, I have an extremely strong immune system but I would not want to share my immunity with certain peopl...

Q: What to do if I have a fever of 100.4?

Q: Hello, I often blow my nose at night and seem to be waking up to a bloody tissue every morning or so. I thought it w...


Dr. James Obaji M.D.

  • 247 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

  • 190 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Pat Golden M.D.

  • 169 Reviews
  • Cardiologist

Dr. Kunaal Jindal M.D.

  • 112 Reviews
  • Plastic Surgeon