Ask The Doctor » Questions & Answers » Chest pain in a young male

Chest pain in a young male

Patient: I ran 2 miles this morning and about half a mile into it starting having the worst chest pain i have ever had. It then led to shortness of breath and i couldn’t take a deep breath. I am 23, 6 feet tall, and 236 lbs. Not in the best shape. I was wondering if it was worth getting seen or just hold off and see if it happens again?


Doctor: Cardiac chest pain is typically worse on exertion and is often associated with shortness of breath. However this would b e very unlikely in a young male of your age group. From the symptoms you describe, I would recommend attending your family doctor for a detailed history of the pain and a clinical examination. He may perform an EKG (electrical trace of the heart) and refer you for an exercise stress test if appropriate, to exclude any structural heart abnormalities that could be responsible for your symptoms.


Ask The Doctor
Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

Dr. Suneel Sharman completed his residency in Family Medicine at the University of Toronto. He currently operates Infinity Health Centre, a walk-in-clinic in downtown Toronto.

View all posts