Chest pain with deep breaths radiated to the back

Patient

Q: When I breathe its like a real bad pain that goes from my throat through my chest and my back

Doctor

A:    Possibly you are having a Costochondritis, this pain is usually well localized but it may radiate across the chest and and over the arms and back. On the other hand, anterior and posterior chest pain may also result from involvement of the nerve roots of the cervical and upper thoracic spine by osteoarthritis, disc disease, etc. Costochondritis  is not a serious condition but very annoying indeed and slow healing. Usually by a spasm or a direct trauma the costochondral cartilage and nerve get injured, causing a stabbing pain to the palpation and every time you take a deep breath, sneeze or cough. The suggested strategy would be: please, try to be patient and do not expect an overnight improvement, take anti inflammatory medication (“Aleve”, “Motrin”), and also Vitamin B12 supplement. Local moist heat helps to ease the pain. Try to avoid activities that worsen the pain.