(Chicken Pox) x 2 = No shingles?

Patient

Q: I've had chicken pox twice as a kid (both times were diagnosed by a physician) How might that affect me in regards to shingles?

Symptoms:  Currently in good health
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. There is no increase in the risk of shingles in relation to how many times you have had chicken pox. Shingles is caused by the reactivation of the varicella zoster which remains dormant in your body after a bout of chicken pox. This can happen at any time, but is commonly associated with older patients over the age of 50 years. The good news is that there is currently a shingles vaccine available that is effective at preventing this disease. It is recommend for patients over the age of 50 years old who have had chicken pox previously. Please consult your doctor if you feel this would be something you would like to avail yourself of. We hope we have addressed your concern.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com