Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Child allergic reaction to guaifenesin

Child allergic reaction to guaifenesin

Patient: Child has itching from guaifenesin. 36 lbs. she took it for 2 days with no problem.

Doctor: Hello,Welcome to ATD. Thank you for the query.Stop guaphensin administration now.Give your child 5ml of diphen hydramine[benadryl] once now.Give it for two more days after lunch.If you feel your child is getting more side effects of guaphensin like hives,difficulty in breathing, kindly visit a paediatrician and get him treated appropriately.Kindly consult further if you have any more queries.Hope this helps. Take care.

Patient: She is asleep should. I wake her for the benadryl? I’ve been looking at her and she has no visible reactions.

Doctor: If you are sure your child is normally sleeping with no visible reactions ,do not wake her up.
Give benadryl only if itching persists.

Patient: Ok so if she wakes up tomorrow with no itching, I won’t give Benadryl. She has a history of mucus getting trapped in her lungs when she is sick. Thats the reason for the guaifenesin. However now that she’s allergic to it, is there a substitute I can give her in place of guaifenesin?

Doctor: Give half a teaspoonful Ambroxol syrup twice daily to your child.

Patient: Ambroxol doesn’t seem to be available in the United States. Can you recommend something available in the United States?

Doctor: The other alternative is acetylcysteine.
The dose is 6 to 10 mL of a 10% solution or 3 to 5 mL of a 20% solution by nebulizer three to four times a day.