Child biting herself: is this a phase or does she need treatment?

Patient

Q: Dear Doctor, I have a five year old little girl that has started to have behavior problems. Well, I'm not sure that it behavior problems or something worse. She has started making comments about not liking herself, and about being ugly. She has started hitting herslef and biting herself saying that she doesn't like who she is. I am very concerned about this.She just completed pre k and this was her first time being away from home. I need to know if this is an adjustment phase or does she need to see a doctor?

Doctor

A:   I would monitor the symptoms very carefully and see whether they are progressing or improving. Also talking to her about why she is saying that and whether anything speific happened when she was away from home would be a good starting point. Analyse her behaviour in different settings.If however things get worse or dont improve, please take her to a pediatrician who would then refer you to a child development specialist for further indepth analysis. I hope this helps. all the best.