Chills, fever, Tetanus vaccination symptoms.

Patient: Hi doctor. For how long does a Tetanus vaccination can cause fever? What fever medication do you recommend as the safest or most effective possible? Thank you. My husband had a cut in his hand yesterday with a knife by accident,he was cutting, cleaning chicken at home. He had stitches in his left hand (around 8 or 9). Today he’s been with fever (38.1 temperature). He told me that it’s probably due to the Tetanus shot, because he felt some pain in his arm, and that he would wait 1 day or until tomorrow. He took aspirin, and after 4 hours or more he tried aleve. He has to return for removal of the stitches in 7 days and he does not show any symptoms of an infection so far. What is your advice? Thank you. Lourdes.

Doctor: A fever occurs in about one out of every 100 adults who receive the tetanus vaccine. The temperature is typically mild a nd stays around 100.4 degrees (38 centigrade). I do not think that your husband shoud be concerned at the moment, as the fever should subside within 24-48 hours. A fever higher than 102 degrees (38.8 centigrade) or one that persists despite attempts to reduce it requires medical attention.