Choice of MultiVitamins in Young Male

Patient

Q: Hello, I am a 22 year old Male, who is moderately overwieght. I also moderately workout 2-3 days a week. I was just wondering what your suggestion is for what I should look for in a MultiVitamin.

Doctor

A:   I advise the majority of my patients to not take multivitamins.  Multiple studies have shown no benefit to taking daily multivitamins over a balanced healhty diet.  As such, I advise the majority of my patients to lead a healthy lifestyle.  I do advise Vitamin D on a regular basis as it can not be obtained through diet.
In addition to your good work out habits, I would suggest good dietary habits. Specifically, meeting your intake of fruits and vegetables as recommend by your national food guide.  It is a good idea to have a variety of textures and colours amongst your fruit and vegetables throughout the week.
If you are still desiring to take vitamin supplementation, I would suggest a single daily multivitamin (containing Vitamin D) from a reputable company.  It will increase your compliance rate.

Guest: Is it safe to take b-12,testosterone, omega 3 oil and dhea toghether