Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Chronic Back Pain in a Young Female

Chronic Back Pain in a Young Female

Patient: Hello, I have had chronic back pain now since I had my kids. It’s been over 4 years now and the doctors still do not know why I am experiencing this pain. I have to constantly twist my spine and hips to crack my back for relief. I have numbness in the middle of my back (just below my ripcage) on my left side and the pain is constant. In the morning I can barely stand because my lower back is so tight. I am not heavy, I don’t smoke, I eat healthy. The MRIs have shown nothing, that everything is normal. What could be causing this herendous pain and is there anything I can do to get rid of it. It is affecting my work and family life. I am only 26 years old. Thanks

Doctor: Chronic low back pain (LBP) is the most expensive benign condition in industrialized countries and the most common cause of activity limitation in persons younger than 45 years. It is defined as pain that persists longer than 12 weeks and is often attributed to degenerative or traumatic conditions of the spine. Mechanical or activity-related spinal pain is most often aggravated by static loading of the spine (prolonged sitting or standing), long-lever activities (vacuuming or working with the arms elevated and away from the body), and levered postures (forward bending of the lumbar spine). Pain is reduced when walking or constantly changing positions, and when the spine is unloaded (reclining). However, a persistent, relenting pain requires further investigation, as follows: evaluation by a physician, imaging studies (MRI, CT scan) and sometimes even functional studies as electromyography.Your case may be managed as chronic low back pain (LBP), you might benefit of Physical Therapy and anti-inflammatory medication (“Aleve”, “Motrin”). Some antidepressants are useful in chronic LBP to alleviate insomnia, and pain In addition, these medications may improve the patient’s ability to cope, and they may reduce depression, anxiety, or fatigue associated with chronic LBP. Local anesthetics, corticosteroids, or other substances may be directly injected into painful soft tissues, facet joints, nerve roots, or epidural spaces.