Chronic left lower Back pain

Q: Hello i have been experiencing lower left side back pain for almost a yr on and off.but for the past 2 months it is getting unbearable i can't sit for long at work and i can't stand for long either at times it sends a wave of pain down my left leg right to my toes, my leg actually feels like it doesn't belong on my body! it also seems since i stopped working in the restaurant almost 5 years ago and started doing a desk job that everything is falling apart lol

A:   Your back pain could be caused by injury to the muscles, bones, and/or nerves of the spine, disc herniation that produces irritation of the nerve (i.e.: sciatica), spinal stenosis, deformities of the spine (i.e.: scoliosis, kyphosis), fibromyalgia. The treatment strategy usually includes: rest, physical therapy program aimed to reduce pain and inflammation, and the use of anti-inflammatory medication. If there is a poor response to these measures then you may need to consult an orthopedic surgeon.