Chronic low back pain

Q: I have suffered with chronic back pain for 5 years, since I slipped and fell. I have a bulging disc at L5, I was then told I have DDD, spinal stenosis, and osteophytes. Rangeing form L3, L4, L5 and S1. I ahve been on numerous medications, physio, acupunture, ect. recently my doctor gave me Lyrica to try. I have never been in so much pain in my life. after 2 days of not being able to move, throwing up and crying in pain I quit taking them. My pain is getting worse and I now have pain in my knees, elbows, shoulders, neck and almost everywhere else. I am wondering if maybe there is something else wrong?

A:   You should go back to your doctor and tell him/her that Lyrica did not work for you. It seemed like you have already done everything (and I am presuming you have been an obedient patient) but to no avail. In my opinion, your perception of generalized pain (pain in all parts of the body) is your reaction to severe pain. Those with disc disease from L3-S1 will have pain on lower back, some will have radiating pain to lower legs and/or weakness or numbness, urinary or bowel incontinence, etc. Most symptoms are on the body parts starting from the waist down. Back exercises can help strengthen the back and will minimize the pain. You should talk more with your doctor about this because this kind of pain might affect your daily living. I do hope this helps and I wish you well always.